Forums » Hangout

sub culture in politics ever a possibility?

• January 12, 2019 10:05 PM EST

Hello,

I simply wanted to get some views, a pretty political orientated question but certainly a serious one. I guess for those who live in the states or certainly in the western Europe.

Does anyone think a non conformist candidate would ever be from a sub culture group such goth or how ever it has changed since it began.

Thanks for reading.

• 4 posts
    January 16, 2019 1:33 PM EST
    Hmm, that’s a interesting thought. I don’t see why not. Anyone can be into any sub culture even if you don’t see it on the out side.
  • January 18, 2019 9:51 PM EST

I don't know about that.

Sure it is an interesting question, it was a thought I had from having seen a clip years back on youtube by a couple of older women, may be 40's at the time,  I didn't think much of it. At the time, some in the political world, were sort of putting the idea of gay candidates for office but not widely spoken of.

So yes, it originates from that, but it was more of a serious and not so serious question put to people in Canada. That was after Barack was elected.

I guess it could be seen as identity politics, labels and so on.

I think realistically, a hypothetical candidate for a legislature or assembly can be very young, so it isn't impossible. But any higher like a mayor or a leader of a province or county, questionable.

This post was edited by Deleted Member at January 18, 2019 9:53 PM EST
  • January 23, 2019 10:48 PM EST

This was what I saw years ago.

https://youtu.be/pPbTPyO9nyw?t=93

I made some images of hypotheticals, this is one of them.

This post was edited by Deleted Member at January 25, 2019 10:22 PM EST
  • January 31, 2019 1:33 PM EST

I mean Jill Stein is pretty much a hippie but the chances of her ever getting elected well...

• January 31, 2019 1:55 PM EST

Elmo ran for a U.K. Parliamentary seat once xD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZxZlSZrPeQ

• February 7, 2019 8:14 PM EST

Sure I remember that on television.

Hmm, well as for subculture in particular, how it could work in a such stuffy arena as politics. The images above are a little amusing, but what is certain, most likely somebody for a head of state will probably be a man, somebody who can blend in well.

What is the definition of the office of president in states, the man! The warrior of the nation. wink

A politician must certainly try to relate to the people who vote them in, it is a tricky one.

Everybody claims they are tolerant, but I think everyone has a limit, I recall an older man who wasn't interested in running for office, in the Czech nation in 2013 the incumbent at the time thought it would be mad to have somebody looking like him in that office. Vladimir Franz, the composer, and generally a university and arts, creative kind of guy, a bit old now. Mr Franz

He was fifth or so in the election. While the office was constitutionally limited, it didn't require any real political experience.

As for the commander in chief archetype, nuclear satchel, air force one, the beast, and Marine one chopper. LOL a bit narcissistic. That satchel is always guarded with some guy from the air force, carries a 9mm. Shoot to kill!

Imagine the top example, as an office holder at age 36.

I guess, a small time mayor should be suffice.

• 4 posts
    February 13, 2019 11:15 PM EST

Man...its like goths WANT to be sold out down the river.

• February 14, 2019 8:18 PM EST

What do you mean exactly?

• 4 posts
    February 14, 2019 11:21 PM EST

You guys got it stuck in your brains that you want to be mainstream and marketted. You want to be sold to little girls at hot topic. That's not what we are, man. That's not us. Now we're talking suit and tie land?
    Jeeze louise....I thought we came from the underworld.

This post was edited by ShadowBane at February 14, 2019 11:22 PM EST
  • February 15, 2019 8:12 AM EST

Hehe, amusing response.

I'm not of a subculture, I'm pretty bland for that.

It wasn't my idea, it came from that somewhat comical and a little serious video, as well as the hypothetical about people who enter politics.

I tried elsewhere in the past, and on serious political or society forums, and people had such a look down, what ever this subculture is or was, I don't really know, but that isn't so much the point.

The worst thing one can do to become a politician is be from a subculture, equals weird, selfish, nihilist to care. Obviously, that doesn't really mean anything, that is just aesthetics or a general view of somebody or a group. I doubt there would be a candidate from a subculture, but if there ever would be, probably somebody elected first, has some money, and can obviously mix with people, a sort of balancing act.

If anything, having somebody from culture should be welcomed, regardless of what many would think, I quite doubt it would many, perhaps one in a generation, and no, formal cloths aren't a must to be a politician, I know it is often portrayed that way, but it happens to be convention and since the camera, and television age, a politician must supposedly look a particular way.

My preference while no subculture, may be there will be a plain cloths wearing kind of guy elected to office, the governor of Idaho, tended to wear jeans. LOL The only one.

Obviously nobody here is particularly enthusiastic.

• 4 posts
    February 15, 2019 9:26 PM EST

The only way to become a politician is to be a conservative from the ground up, clean cut, no record. A lot purist hogwash.

• February 15, 2019 9:39 PM EST

Ah well, some may state, being a former lawyer also helps. Often a lot of politicians are, since modern politics requires some good degree of education, i think it may help. But since they are law makers themselves, legal background would certainly benefit them.

As for this topic, we don't know if somebody will ever be elected from a subculture for certain, you can't be that negative about it. But I think most would agree it would probably be very low level politics, a liberal area.

I recall on the forum I posted at a few years back, a poster expressed that the media would probably be very unsupportive of a candidate who looked different.

Conservative meaning, family values, or religion and or both? Or just looking old fashion or typical, twentieth century fashion in politics.