Forums » Help and Advice

• 1 posts
    August 27, 2016 9:53 AM EDT
    I live In Miami Florida, and I literally know no other goths, and through I have "normal" friends I feel they don't really understand me. Im under aged so I just can't go clubbing and find some. Doe anyone live by me or have and advice for me.
  • September 9, 2016 4:03 PM EDT

Just be yourself, do what YOU want, and don't give up!!

• 19 posts
    October 22, 2016 5:01 PM EDT

Wow. This made me think back to when I was in high school when subculture was a whole different ball game. There was no internet and no way to connect to others with similar musical taste as myself. I knew I was different. I didn’t relate to the music that everyone else was listening to and if I dared mention what I was into it lead to more bullying so I kept quiet and only had a handful of friends who were friends by default not because we shared much common interest.

I was looking through the music section in the library trying to find some sheet music when I stumbled across a book called the British Invasion which was a history of British music. I was flicking through it and saw the punk section where I recognised John Lydon who I knew from PIL. I then found the Post Punk Gothic section and suddenly knew what most of what I was listening to was.

It wasn’t until I left school and started University that I saw my first Goth in the flesh. I was out drinking and I walked in the girls bathroom and there she was. I was blown away and knew I wanted to dress like that. Didn’t take me long to find a flyer for a Goth club and I was finally home so to speak.

Sorry for the life story but my point is hang in there. I hope you find like minded people soon but be thankful you have social media to help you understand and connect.

• 0 posts
    April 6, 2018 8:51 PM EDT

I know this is an 18 month old post, but i'm going to comment anyway.  

I am having the same problems, but it's not from the lack of goths in Southern California. It's because I'm almost 45 and a single parent that can't relate to the younger scene. I hope you've met some new friends.